Friday, June 22, 2007

I'm voting "No." Here's why...

After much consideration I have decided to vote against the 1/2-cent local sales tax, which is proposed to fund healthcare for the working poor. I agree that we have a serious, and rapidly worsening, healthcare crisis in America. Far too many people who work hard to support their families cannot afford health insurance and therefore rely on trips to the ER when illness or injury occurs. The hospitals treat these people and pass along a portion of the cost to insurers, who in turn raise insurance rates, which causes more people to lose coverage. A vicious cycle, for sure.

However, I do not believe that a local sales tax is a good way to address this problem. There are a number of faults with the proposal, but the one that bothers me most is that far too few people will benefit from this plan in any real way. Access Escambia reports that, if 100% of eligible workers in Escambia County signed up for this plan, it could help about 30,000 people, which is less than 10% of the population. Judging by the enrollment rates in other Florida counties that have tried similar plans, the chances of getting anywhere near 100% enrollment are slim and none. Alachua County has had a similar program in place for over 2 years, and has only 770 people enrolled as of the beginning of this month. Education and public relations might help somewhat, but I believe that enrolling a significant percentage of eligible workers would require a fundamental change in the mind-set of a lot of these workers, which seems unlikely. Ultimately, I believe this system would cause a significant drain of economic resources in Escambia County that would not wind up benefitting the vast majority of Escambia County residents. And, I'm sorry, but I just don't believe that this little program in this little county would have any significant effect on health insurance rates.

In the end, it seems like Access Escambia is trying to kill the elephant that is our NATIONAL healthcare crisis with a pea-shooter. What is needed is a fundamental change in the way this nation addresses healthcare. We will have to give up some benefits we have enjoyed before. It will cost A LOT of money. Luckily we HAVE a lot of money. The war in Iraq has already cost us over $400 BILLION (with a "B"), and will likely exceed $1 TRILLION (with a "T"). With a fraction of that amount we could fund a national healthcare plan that would provide benefits to us and our children for decades.

Judging from the stories I've read and the people I have talked to, it seems unlikely (to my eyes, anyway) that this tax will be approved. So, for now, the hard truth is that the working poor of Escambia County will likely continue to suffer without healthcare. I hate that fact. But I believe that it is within our power to change our world, if we can agree that a comprehensive NATIONAL healthcare plan is our highest current priority. That will take courage, leadership, and a lot of banging heads. We should get started.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well stated Pat. I voted no on Friday like I told you I would

 
template by free-web-template.blogspot.com