Friday, June 8, 2007

1/2-cent sales tax for health care: Good Idea(?)

I haven't really looked at this proposal in depth, which kinda sucks 'cause the vote is coming up pretty quick (June 26th). The proposal is to add another 1/2% on to our local sales tax (raising it to a total of 8%, one of the highest rates in the state), with the extra money to be used for healthcare for the working poor in Escambia County who don't qualify for Medicaid but also can't afford health insurance. The website for proponents of the tax is Access Escambia. I haven't yet seen an organized opposition to the proposal, but you can bet it's out there.

My questions: (1) how much of the money goes for preventive healthcare, such as "healthy baby" programs, pre-natal care, education, etc...
(2) is the proposal essentially just another form of emergency-room care for the working poor who can't afford insurance, and if so, is that the best way to spend our tax dollars?

My instinct is that, after I do more investigation, I will wind up supporting this proposal. My instinct is also that it will not pass (i.e., as usual I will wind up picking a loser). I will report more when (or if) I learn more about the proposal...

No comments:

 
template by free-web-template.blogspot.com