Friday, June 22, 2007

Access Escambia / PETT Debate (Part Deux)

I attended the Access Escambia / PETT-PAC "information session" last night. I was disappointed to see so few people (only about a dozen) attending, and not a single representative from local media. I suppose the low turnout was due, at least in part, to the lack of significant advertising about the event.

Jim McClellan presented on behalf of Access Escambia, and Greg Fink presented the opposing position of PETT-PAC (People for the Ethical Treatment of Taxpayers - Political Action Committee). If you've been following this issue for a while, like me, there was not a lot of new information presented. Access Escambia's position is that something HAS to be done about the public health situation in Escambia County, and the program they have proposed, while admittedly not perfect, would be a good start in attempting to reverse (or at least slow) the downward trend. PETT-PAC agrees that we have a health-care crisis, but believes a local sales tax is the wrong way to approach this problem.

After the presentations Jim and Greg, a fairly lively question-answer session followed. Members of the audience asked some hard questions, and it appeared that many are skeptical about the Access plan.

I am still on the fence. Like everyone, I agree that we've got a real, and rapidly increasing, problem with healthcare. I also agree that something needs to be done. However, I am not convinced that a local sales tax is the right answer. With only 4 days until the vote I need to make up my mind pretty quickly. When I do, I will attempt to reveal my decision-making process here.

No comments:

 
template by free-web-template.blogspot.com