Monday, January 28, 2008

Okay, so I lied...

I promised to "show my work" and post about how I was figuring out whether to vote in favor of or against Amendment 1. I didn't. Hey, I'm sorry, some stuff came up (some good, some REALLY bad). So, instead of telling you my whole thought process, I'll just tell you that I decided to vote "no."

Why?

Well, for one thing, I kept hearing from supporters that "Amendment 1 isn't perfect, but it's a start." Well, that's what I call damning by faint praise. "This is crap, but it's slightly less crappy than some other crap" ain't exactly a strong sell in my world. Particularly when you're talking about something as important as taxes. And I'm tired of the knee-jerk argument that "government wastes too much money" and "tell those bastards they'll just have to tighten their belt more." Well guess what, WE'RE THE BASTARDS. Our government is not some distant, alien entity. It's us. You and me. So if we think our government is bloated and inefficient, it's up to you and me to do something about it. I don't believe that just closing the purse is the right way to do things. Rather, we need to focus on being more efficient, combining redundant services, eliminating unnecessary staff positions, etc. And that will be painful. We have hard decisions to make.

So let's get started.

No comments:

 
template by free-web-template.blogspot.com